How Will Divorce Impact My Immigration Status?

Dealing with a divorce can be an emotionally taxing ordeal for anyone, and when your immigration status is intertwined with your marital status, the stress can become overwhelming. Before you can make any decisions about how to proceed with your immigration status post-divorce, it is important to understand how the process works and what options are available.

Understanding Your Immigration Status and Divorce

If your immigration status is directly tied to your marriage, a divorce can potentially affect your legal status. In most cases, foreign nationals obtain conditional Green Cards when they marry a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. This conditional status typically lasts for two years. If you get divorced before this 2-year period expires, you could face deportation unless you can demonstrate that your marriage was not fraudulent.

Here are a few key points to remember:

  • If your divorce is finalized before you apply to remove the conditions on your Green Card, you will need to submit a waiver request. This waiver allows you to have the conditions removed from your Green Card even after divorce.
  • If your divorce happens after you've already applied to have the conditions removed, you should notify U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services as soon as possible. You may still need to request a waiver.
  • If you've already become a permanent resident at the time of your divorce, it is likely your status will not be affected.

However, every situation is unique, and there are many factors that can influence outcomes. It is crucial to consult with an immigration attorney who can provide guidance specific to your case.

How VAWA Could Impact Your Case

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) can play a significant role in your situation. Under VAWA, an abused spouse, child, or parent can file a petition for an immigrant visa without the abuser's knowledge or consent. This allows victims of abuse to seek safety and independence without fear of deportation.

A few crucial provisions include:

  • If you are a victim of abuse and your immigration status is dependent on your spouse, you can self-petition for a Green Card under VAWA.
  • This provision applies regardless of the abuser's citizenship status. The abusive spouse can be a U.S. citizen or a legal permanent resident.
  • You can file for the VAWA provision without going through a divorce. However, your VAWA application will not be affected if you choose to divorce.
  • It is essential to provide substantial evidence of abuse, such as police reports, photographs, medical records, or witness statements.

The process of dealing with divorce and immigration can be intricate and overwhelming. It's crucial, therefore, to seek professional legal counsel who can help navigate these complexities. They can guide you through the process, ensure you meet all legal requirements, and advocate for your rights and interests.

It's important to remember that while divorce can present significant challenges to your immigration status, it does not signify the end of your journey toward becoming a U.S. resident or citizen. With the right knowledge, resources, and legal support, you can successfully navigate this difficult time and emerge with your immigration status secure.

How Divorce Can Impact Your Green Card Application

A divorce can have significant implications on your Green Card application, primarily if you derive your eligibility from your spouse. If you are in the process of applying for a Green Card when you get divorced, this change in marital status will likely impact your application. Your application could be denied, and you may have to leave the U.S., especially if you have not yet received your conditional Green Card.

However, there are specific scenarios where you can still proceed with your application:

  • If you entered the marriage in good faith, and the marriage was bona fide, or genuine, at the time you entered into it, you may be able to proceed with your application.
  • If you or your child faced abuse or extreme hardship by your U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse, you might be eligible to file a self-petition under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).
  • If your spouse has died, you can still apply for a Green Card even if you are divorced.

If you are a conditional permanent resident and get divorced, you must petition to remove the conditions on your Green Card. Your petition should include evidence proving that you entered the marriage in good faith, such as wedding photos, shared bank accounts, joint property ownership, and other proof of a shared life. If your petition is denied, you may face deportation.

It is crucial to remember that immigration laws are complex and constantly changing. The process is often confusing; small errors can lead to significant delays or denials. Therefore, it is essential to seek legal counsel to help you navigate these complex issues. A lawyer can provide insight into your unique situation and offer advice on the best course of action.

Steps to Take Post-Divorce for Immigration Status

Taking appropriate steps post-divorce can be crucial in maintaining your immigration status. Firstly, try to gather all relevant documents that serve as proof of your bona fide marriage. These documents could include shared bank account statements, property deeds, and photographs that clearly demonstrate your shared life. The more evidence you have, the stronger your case will be when petitioning to remove conditions on your Green Card.

Secondly, when your shared life with your spouse ceases due to divorce, you must notify U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This can prevent misunderstandings that could lead to complications down the line. It's important to understand that while divorce is not a crime, not notifying USCIS about a change in your marital status can have serious consequences on your immigration status.

Lastly, it is strongly recommended to seek legal advice. Divorce and immigration are complex issues, and it's easy to feel overwhelmed when dealing with them simultaneously. An experienced immigration lawyer can provide advice tailored to your situation, guide you through the process, and help ensure you meet all legal requirements. Their expertise can be invaluable in ensuring your rights are protected, and your immigration status remains secure.

At Guerra Saenz, PL, we are dedicated to helping immigrants navigate the complexities of immigration law. We understand how complex and overwhelming this process can be, which is why our experienced team carefully assesses each case to provide tailored legal solutions.

Contact us online or call us at (954) 466-0323 for a consultation. You don't have to face this alone – we are here to help you every step of the way.